Tuesday 15 February 2011

3rd draft of 'Chasing the dream' Script by Daniel Mutabazi, Myles McCaulskey & Roache Boateng-Abraham

Title: Chasing the Dream

 

Int. Room. Day

KWAMI writing a letter in his room.

 

KWAMI

 (Voice over)

After being turned down from many teaching jobs due to the lack of by experience in British teaching, I had to take a job in cleaning due to my desperation

 

Ext. Sky. Day

 

A plane coming in to land at Heathrow. Fade to wide and run title.

KWAMI is sweeping the school corridor.

KWAMI 

(Voice over)

This was not the ideal path I wanted to take, but it pays for my fees and gives me just enough money to survive.  

This job creates many problems as when I try to be myself and become a free person.

Int. School corridor. Day.

Shot of KWAMI dancing, while sweeping.

CLEANER supervisor shouts

“Get back to work”

 

KWAMI

Voice over

 

I am scrutinised by my boss and mistreated by the students at the school, who see me as a person who wants to clean and not a person that has to clean. Somehow in the midst of this I still feel respected.

Int. School corridor. Day

Cut to a pupil throwing rubbish on the floor in front of the main character and then running of laughing.

KWAMI

“HEY, stupid boy”

KWAMI

Voice over

Everyday I work, Everyday I study, Everyday I hope, that the next day will be the day I fulfil my purpose and succeed in my destiny.

Ext. Gates. Night

KWAMI walking home from a long day of work.

Working, Cleaning, Working, Cleaning, this was an endless cycle that I knew would eventually come to an end.

Int. Room. Night

Montage sequence of KWAMI getting home, studying, going to bed late.

I could not live the rest of my life like this. I was a teacher. It is my destiny.

Int. Room. Night

Shot of alarm ringing, saying 5am, KWAMI waking up early

Int. Room. Day

Montage of KWAMI studying, books all around him.

KWAMI

Voice over

Narrative: With every pencil stroke and every lesson I took at my class I knew I was destined for greater things and would finally become a teacher who would be respected by all.

The day finally came when I graduated from my college and gained my honours as a British Teacher.

Int. Room. Day.

KWAMI in mirror, doing up tie and walking towards school.

 I could finally work in the UK, I would be a teacher.

Ext. School gates. Day

Pause outside school gates.

Mains characters first day of work

 

KWAMI

Voice over

 

After going to the school and meeting the head teacher I felt ready for my new career. The firm handshake the smell of the class room the sound of the pupils. This was my dream, my goal and with the sound of school bell, I saw my dream come to life. I have come a long way, finally now I have made it. I have over come our struggle and have entered the promise land.

I have great colleagues that help me every step of the way. And even the school children appreciate me.

Ext. School grounds. Day

Boy walks past KWAMI. “ Hello sir”

Int. 6th form corridor. Day

KWAMI does a little dance, before he enters the classroom.

May god bless us all

The end          

script commentary:                                                 

Our script can be said to be appropriate, because we have managed to incorporate a voice over as the main form of dialogue. This acts as the main drive for the film, as it tells the actual story, which drives the whole film forward. We have also used a time ellipses,to show that the story takes place in the past, which makes it a flashback. This allows the audience to identify, that the events are from the protagonists own personal experiences. Furthermore, we have chosen to base the film in locations which would be the suitable environment for an immigrant, which are school, for his job and two different rooms, to show the difference between the past and the present, through the difference in quality. The short film will be split into many short scenes to illustrate different moments of his experiences and to only show the audience the important parts of his flashback.

No comments:

Post a Comment