Thursday 10 February 2011

2nd Draft of "Chasing The Dream" Script by Roache Boateng-Abraham, Myles McCaulskey & Daniel Mutabazi

Ext. Sky. Day

A plane coming in to land at Heathrow. Fade to wide and run title.

Title : Chasing the Dream

Narrative: The main character (Roache) is reading a letter he is planning to send back home to his family.

ROACHE
 (voice over)
After being turned down from many teaching jobs due to my lack of experience in British teaching, I had to take a job in cleaning due to my desperation
Roache is sweeping the school corridor.

ROACHE 
(voice over)
This was not the ideal path I wanted to take, but it pays for my fees and gives me just enough money to survive. 
This job creates many problems as when I try to be myself and become a free person, I am scrutinised by my boss and mistreated by the students at the school, who see me as a person who wants to clean and not a person that has to clean. Somehow in the midst of this I still feel respected.


Int. School corridor. Day.
Shot of Roache dancing, while sweeping.
CLEANER shouts
“Get back to work”

Int. school corridor. Day
cut to a pupil throwing rubbish on the floor in front of the main character and then running of laughing.

ROACHE
“HEY, stupid boy”

ROACHE
(voice over)
Everyday I work, Everyday I study, Everyday I hope, that the next day will be the day I fulfil my purpose and succeed in my destiny.

Ext. Gates. Night
Roache walking home from a long day of work.
Working, Cleaning, Working, Cleaning, this was an endless cycle that I knew would eventually come to an end.

Int. Room. Night
Montage sequence of Roache getting home, studying, going to bed late.
I could not live the rest of my life like this. I was a teacher. It is my destiny.

Int. Room. Night
Shot of alarm ringing, saying 5am, Roache waking up early

Int. Room. Day
Montage of Roache studying, books all around him.

ROACHE
(voice over)
Narrative: With every pencil stroke and every lesson I took at my class I knew I was destined for greater things and would finally become a teacher who would be respected by all.
The day finally came when I graduated from my college and gained my honours as a British Teacher.

Int. room. Day.
Roache in mirror, doing up tie and walking towards school.
 I could finally work in the UK, I would be a teacher.

Ext. school gates. Day
Pause outside school gates.
Mains characters first day of work

ROACHE
(voice over)

I have great colleagues that help me every step of the way. An even the school children appreciate me being a member of staff.

Ext. school grounds. Day
Boy walks past Roache. “ Hello sir”

After going to the school and meeting the head teacher, I felt ready for my new career. The firm handshake the smell of the class room the sound of the pupils. This was my dream, my goal and with the sound of school bell, I saw my dream come to life. I have come a long way, finally now I have made it. I have over come our struggle and have entered the promise land.

Int. 6th form corridor. Day
Roache does a little dance, before he enters the classroom.

May god bless us all

The end     

No comments:

Post a Comment